My trips to Boston are consistently short and sweet. Last time, it was the Fung Wah from New York. This weekend, it was a flight in and a hectic first day at BCEC, having arrived late for volunteering. My trip was plagued with stupid scheduling errors like this. I need a secretary. Google Calendar, as much as I love it, is not cutting it.
In fact, this would go on to mar the rest of my experience as an Enforcer at PAX. Not only did I arrive late, but I left early due to more plane ticketing stupidity. This caused my region’s supervisor to comment that, “If you wanted to be an attendee, you should have been an attendee.”
Considering that I was volunteering to give back to the people behind Penny-Arcade, the web comic I’ve loved and revered since middle school, this was pretty painful. Regardless, I feel that when I was on-duty, I did a good job, both on Spareboard and as an Expo Hall patrol.
I feel as though the process for new Enforcers could have been a lot better in various ways. Regardless, the [E] Chicago folks have been awesome, even if my application for Enforcing at future events is affected by this 🙁
Other than that, the atmosphere at PAX was amazing. The work was hard, but worth it:
Finally, I stayed with Min Hye in Boston through CouchSurfing. She’s so nice! And makes cute noises that she doesn’t register consciously, then calls it “humbling” instead of humming, haha. Min Hye, I’ll definitely visit again when I go to Boston!
- Boston subways are awesome and full of performers – one was using a cajon, which is the first time I’d seen/heard it.
- Let me count my PAX mistakes: Arrived late, left early, entered Expo Hall when it wasn’t open and waited in line. Nobody told me not to, they just tattled on me T_T
- I tricked at the Fruit Ninja booth. Apparently, I got massive points, but I was disappointed because the controls weren’t too tight.
- Clam chowder and salmon on the pier at the Legal Test Kitchen. Good stuff. I had dinner with some bros. It was tight.
- Apparently, there was an Anime convention going on at the Hynes Convention Center at the same time.
- I kept seeing Jerry Holkins, but I was too starstruck to say anything to him O.O